2022 Updates to ICD-10-CM Coding and 5-Star Quality Rating System including FAQs
March 25, 2022
The World Health Organization (WHO), Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) have announced there will be updates to the ICD-10-CM Coding guidelines and codes effective April 2022. These new ICD-10-CM codes include COVID-19 underimmunization status. SNFs are required to report resident and staff vaccination statuses. These ICD-10-CM codes will be needed for resident medical records. CMS has also added staff retention and weekend staffing levels to the 5-star Quality Rating calculations. These changes will begin to affect the 5-star rating for staffing on the July 2022 refresh. This webinar will walk the attendees through the ICD-10-CM and 5-Star Quality Rating Changes including how to use the new codes, how weekend staffing and staff retention impact the 5-Star Staffing rating and how to find reports that show the facility’s staffing status before it is reported publicly.
In addition to the updates noted above, the presentation also includes information related to the newest SNF QRP Measure related to staff vaccination reporting.
1. State two new ICD-10-CM codes that will be reported beginning April 2022.
2. Explain the new COVID underimmunization coding guideline.
3. Report 2 changes to the 5-Star Quality Rating Staffing Star that will begin to impact the star rating in July 2022.
Carol Maher, RN-BC, RAC-MTA, RAC-MT, RAC-CTA, RAC-CT, CPC
Carol Maher is a Board Certified Gerontological Registered Nurse with over 30 years of long term care experience and has worked in long term care in many roles. She worked as the MDS Coordinator in a 300 bed SNF in Pennsylvania for 8 years before moving to CA to become the MDS Coordinator/Director for a 1200 bed SNF in San Francisco. She has also worked as the MDS Coordinator in a SNF that typically had 60-75 residents on Medicare in addition to 160 long-term care residents. Most recently she was the Senior VP of Utilization Services and Director of Reimbursement for large multi-facility organizations.
Carol has worked as one of the Gold Standard nurses for MDS 3.0, serving on the RAP workgroup to prepare the way for the CAAs for MDS 3.0, and participating on a number of Technical Expert Panels related to MDS, Quality Measures and care planning. A sought-after speaker, she has given presentations at AANAC, AHCA and Leading Age national conferences as well as many state organization presentations. She is also a frequent author of articles related to the RAI process and PPS. Carol served as a member of the AANAC Board of Directors for 9 years. She is presently serving as the chair of the AANAC Expert Advisory Panel and as an AANAC Master Teacher of the RAC-CT and RAC-CTA certification courses. Ms. Maher is the Director of Education for Hansen Hunter & Co. P.C., providing MDS and Medicare classes across the country, presenting monthly educational webinars and completing compliance audits. She is the author of Long-Term Care MDS Coordinator’s Field Guide (HCPRO 2016).
- 1 credit hours for RNs
- 1 credit hours for NABs
This pre-recorded webinar expires on March 25, 2023.
- This nursing continuing professional development activity was approved by Montana Nurses Association, an accredited approver with distinction by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- Enduring material: To meet the requirements for these contact hours, you must watch the entire recorded presentation as well as answer and submit the post-test evaluation that is provided as a link along with the link to your webinar which you will receive via email after completing your purchase.