Avoid These 5 Common ICD-10-CM Coding Errors
December 3, 2021
ICD-10-CM coding is complex and not a topic typically taught during formal nursing home administrator education. During this 90-minute webinar, AAPACN master teacher Carol Maher, RN-BC, RAC-MTA, RAC-MT, CPC, will explore the reasons ICD-10-CM coding accuracy is required, as well as highlight five frequent coding errors. This session will assist the nursing home administrator and Medicare team in understanding the appropriate steps to take to identify which diagnoses can be coded, how to ensure that the correct coding process is followed, and how to prevent the five biggest coding errors.
1. Pinpoint five common ICD-10-CM coding errors.
2. Implement one strategy to prevent a common coding error.
3. Understand the importance of the primary diagnosis code in PDPM and its future importance in state case mix systems.
Carol Maher, RN-BC, RAC-MTA, RAC-MT, RAC-CTA, RAC-CT, CPC
Carol Maher is a Board Certified Gerontological Registered Nurse with over 30 years of long term care experience and has worked in long term care in many roles. She worked as the MDS Coordinator in a 300 bed SNF in Pennsylvania for 8 years before moving to CA to become the MDS Coordinator/Director for a 1200 bed SNF in San Francisco. She has also worked as the MDS Coordinator in a SNF that typically had 60-75 residents on Medicare in addition to 160 long-term care residents. Most recently she was the Senior VP of Utilization Services and Director of Reimbursement for large multi-facility organizations.
Carol has worked as one of the Gold Standard nurses for MDS 3.0, serving on the RAP workgroup to prepare the way for the CAAs for MDS 3.0, and participating on a number of Technical Expert Panels related to MDS, Quality Measures and care planning. A sought-after speaker, she has given presentations at AANAC, AHCA and Leading Age national conferences as well as many state organization presentations. She is also a frequent author of articles related to the RAI process and PPS. Carol served as a member of the AANAC Board of Directors for 9 years. She is presently serving as the chair of the AANAC Expert Advisory Panel and as an AANAC Master Teacher of the RAC-CT and RAC-CTA certification courses. Ms. Maher is the Director of Education for Hansen Hunter & Co. P.C., providing MDS and Medicare classes across the country, presenting monthly educational webinars and completing compliance audits. She is the author of Long-Term Care MDS Coordinator’s Field Guide (HCPRO 2016).
- 1.5 credit hours for RNs
- 1.5 credit hours for NABs
This pre-recorded webinar expires on September 23, 2023.
Hansen Hunter & Co. P.C. clients are invited to access any of our webinars for free by contacting Allison Johnson at our office at 503.244.2134 to receive your free registration code.
- This nursing continuing professional development activity was approved by Montana Nurses Association, an accredited approver with distinction by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- Enduring material: To meet the requirements for these contact hours, you must watch the entire recorded presentation as well as answer and submit the post-test evaluation that is provided as a link along with the link to your webinar which you will receive via email after completing your purchase.