Clinical Consultant | Registered Nurse
Carol Maher is a Board Certified Gerontological Registered Nurse with over 30 years long term care experience and has worked in long term care in many roles. She worked as the MDS Coordinator in a 300 bed SNF in Pennsylvania for 8 years before moving to CA to become the MDS Coordinator/Director for a 1200 bed SNF in San Francisco. She has also worked as the MDS Coordinator in a SNF that typically had 60-75 residents on Medicare in addition to 160 long-term care residents. Most recently she was the Senior VP of Utilization Services and Director of Reimbursement for large multi-facility organizations.
Carol has worked as one of the Gold Standard nurses for MDS 3.0, serving on the RAP workgroup to prepare the way for the CAAs for MDS 3.0, and participating on a number of Technical Expert Panels related to MDS, Quality Measures and care planning. A sought-after speaker, she has given presentations at AANAC, AHCA and Leading Age national conferences as well as many state organization presentations. She is also a frequent author of articles related to the RAI process and PPS. Carol served as a member of the AANAC Board of Directors for 9 years. She is presently serving as the chair of the AANAC Expert Advisory Panel and as an AANAC Master Teacher of the RAC-CT and RAC-CTA certification courses. Ms. Maher is the Director of Education for Hansen Hunter & Co., providing MDS and Medicare classes across the country, presenting monthly educational webinars and completing compliance audits. She is the author of Long-Term Care MDS Coordinator’s Field Guide (HCPRO 2016).
- Registered Nurse – Board Certified
- Harrisburg Hospital School of Nursing
- Registered Nurse, licensed in Washington
- Registered Nurse, licensed in Pennsylvania
- Registered Nurse Certified (RNC)
- Resident Assessment Coordinator Certified (RAC-CT)
- Resident Assessment Coordinator Advanced (RAC-CTA)
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
National Long-Term Care Expert
- MDS 3.0 Gold Standard Nurse
- CMS Technical Expert Panel Member – Care Planning
- RTI Technical Expert Panel Member – MDS 3.0 Quality Measures
- CMS RAP Workgroup – chair of new RAPS and Format committee